Pages

Monday, January 31, 2011

Wrinkles

Having been a sun worshipper and a smoker all of my adult life, my mirror recently seems to be shining a spotlight on the crows feet  around my eyes and various other creases and folds upon my face.  I could change the light bulbs to a lower wattage, but unfortunately, I seem to be having a little difficulty seeing in dim light these days.  Ahhh the curses of aging.

I think back to about 10 years ago.  I saw an elderly woman (probably in her mid 70's).  It was at a bowling center, and she was in the lane next to me.  She had more wrinkles on her face than there are stars in the sky.  Deep, well defined creases . . . . and she was Beautiful!  I was mesmerized by her.  Each line seemed to tell a story, and the sparkle in her eyes held so much life.  The smile on her face was joyful, yet I knew instinctively that she had seen much pain.  I remember thinking to myself, "I hope I can age as gracefully as her".

But now . . . looking in the mirror I'm irritated.  And I wonder if that lady from 10 years ago was irritated when she looked in the mirror?  Her beauty seemed so effortless. 

Now that I think about it, her beauty was from within, and it was the lens that surrounded her that I was seeing her through. 

Note to self:

1.  Work on the inner beauty
2.  Until that's taken care of, change the light bulbs in the bathroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment